About the Faculty
This faculty has been established after the approval of five years of economic and social development plan to educated professional personnel in different economic aspects. A special committee comprised of several lecturers and professionals was constituted by the Ministry of Education to the necessities of establishing such an institute. Based on the opinion of the mentioned committee, after being approved by the authorities of the university, an organization by the name “Economy Institute” was established in the year 1957. It had only one class containing only 20 students and four lecturers, however, theoretically, the Cadre of the institute was eight lecturers and 8 assistant lecturers. Meanwhile, Kabul University employed an Austrian professor as an advisor and developer of the curriculum of the faculty. In 1958 the Institute attained the name of University and admitted 90 students. Until 1960 both the Economy and Law faculties had the same curriculum or learning materials but at the beginning of 1960, both got separated.
In 1961 the Faculty of Economics signed a bipartite MoU with the Faculty of Economics of German Koln University. Later on, in 1966 two other German Universities naming Bonn and Bochum joined this MoU. It worth mentioning that in 1959 for the first time, the quarterly magazine of the Faculty of Economics was published. This faculty has graduated 10468 students and has been actively educating professional cadres in different economic aspects for 63 years.